C.A.M. parents Teachers Residents
Keep Kings

Friday 1 July 2011

Governors of Tomlinscote

It has been a long and bruising campaign and as the dust settles I'm sure we would all like some clarity on the events that have unfolded and perhaps a little closure.  Having been steeped in this for three months I have a vast array of information to piece together to form a picture that becomes clearer day by day as more information surfaces.  One item I'd like to address is that of the Governors of Tomlinscote.

The task the Governors were given was immense, the importance of getting it right vital - you could be a Governor a lifetime and not have to make a decision as difficult as this one.    In some ways it was a bit like being called for jury duty and finding you had been assigned the "Jack the Ripper" trial!

There may be quite a few things that the Governors may have wished to have done differently with hindsight, but the end result was correct.  We must thank the Governors for that decision but also for a lot of the process that went on behind the scenes that we will probably never fully appreciate.  I know how much work the members of CAM did and I imagine that some of the Governing Body put in just as much work and for the same reasons - to get the information to make an informed answer.  Trust me, until you have dealt with SCC you can only imagine how much work that is!  I am not in a position to tell the whole story, as I do not have the details, but it is my understanding that without the brave intervention of a number of individuals on the Governing body SCC could have managed to walk this through and disenfranchised the parents from ANY say in the process.  It is bravery to challenge the status quo and put your head above the parapet, and some had more to lose than others.  The concept of "due diligence" is obviously something foreign to SCC as this is what they should have done BEFORE bringing this proposal to the Governing body but I applaud those Governors who insisted on the process.  I wish I had met the Governors earlier as those that I met filled me with confidence that whatever the outcome they would have been making an informed decision on the right evidence.

I have no apologies for the pressure heaped on the Governors during the campaign, whilst uncomfortable I would like to think it helped concentrate minds and encourage the exploration of ideas and information in a wider context.

I would however like to express my deep gratitude for the sacrifices they made during this period in difficult and trying circumstances.... and the small matter of a sensible and considered answer.

In the past I have to admit that election of Governors is not something that caught my interest but when this subject comes up again I am sure that I am not the only one that will look at the subject in a new light.  As you have seen these people hold a responsible position that does influence the future education our children receive.  It has also shown that we need to know who our Governors are and get the chance to meet them.  I believe that Mr Hylans management style to be open and inclusive and I and the rest of the members of CAM look forward to supporting him and the Governing body in the future.

Ian Sorby

7 comments:

  1. Perhaps we could have an blog article about the shadow governors that have been appointed at Kings? Who are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. So would it be a good idea for a CAM representative to be appointed to the Tomlinscote Board of Governors in the future? This would seem the next stage to allow an open and inclusive style within the governing body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post, Ian and yes, I too was delighted to see that the common sense of our governing body prevailed. I also have no doubt that as with any committee, that decision wasn't achieved without much persuasion from some and the courage to change their view-point from others!
    Hopefully, more of us will now take more of an active interest in the election of our governors in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let us remember the Governors could and should have said no at the begining. Collingwood did not waist time and MONEY saying NO.
    Were our Governors misinformed and mislead from within?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little patience and I believe you will get an answer to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Tomlinscote Governors should not have viewed the proposal as a business proposition. If the education of our children had been paramount, as demonstrated by the Collingwood governors, we would never have been faced with this situation.

    ReplyDelete