C.A.M. parents Teachers Residents
Keep Kings

Wednesday 23 March 2011

Excellent post from Kings Parent

I have had a number of emails from Kings parents asking that Tomlinscote parents be sensitive about this subject see a couple below.  I thought that this post was particularly excellent..

http://www.camberleypeople.co.uk/groups/education/Letter-Kings-Parent-merger/story-10865991-detail/story.html

The attitude of some children and parents posting on facebook does not bode well for a smooth combination of the schools.  Ofsetds critical report of Kings has so much to answer for it has skewed the intake so that few people want to go there and given people the erroneous impression that there is nothing good about Kings.  The Ofsted report / league table system boils down the very complex issue of education into a almost binary Good/Bad tag - this ludicrous over simplification has the effect of ensuring failure for schools that are identified as having challenges and ensuring success for those tagged as being above average.  Success in life cannot be framed as simplistically as educational achievement - yesterday my boss phoned me to ask what qualifications I had as he needed to fill some paperwork out for my promotion.  I was embarrassed when I told him what I had, despite having a degree most people around me have Phd's and more.  After getting off the phone it occurred to me that HIS qualifications to be in his position were similar to mine - a track record of industry experience and getting things done.  Neither of us was defined by our qualifications.  While people are simplistically evaluating a school on its ability to grind out A*'s they might stop to consider the number of graduates out of work or in low paid jobs.   Schools should be judged on their ability to turn out valuable members of society and on their "value add" not on pure A*'s.  Compare and contrast the fate of some graduates with a scenario of someone who leaves school at 16 and becomes a gas fitters apprentice moving on in time to have their own van.  Working hard they could soon find themselves successful enough to be paying a rather lot of 40% tax - the academic route is not for everyone and does not ensure success in life.

Please also see a couple of letters I received:-



On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 6:00 PM, REMOVED wrote:


Hi, in this day and age with crime, bullying etc I dont think 12 year olds should really be walking home alone. I lived in Lightwater and went to Collingwood, the whole of Lightwater which is huge gets on a free bus to Collingwood - its safe and no parent even needs to get in a car. You could charge parents the cost of the journey without making a profit or just pay for it. I dont see why a bus could not go from Heatherside to Tomlinscote. Lots of parents drive now that could put their children on the bus.


Also with all the amount of new houses popping up the extra building could cater for all the new children attending the schools. Surely in 5 years time with all the new houses, Tomlinscote and Collingwood would not be able to take them as they are over subscribed now.....


I think parents should chill out a little about this proposal and think about what can be done to make the transition smooth and what benefits it could have, rather than think negative all the time. Alot of parents are probably very angry because they have moved to the "Tomlinscote" catchement area so their children can go to Tomlinscote - if this proposal goes ahead they would have wasted their money - many being an extra morgage of 60K!


Kind Regards
REMOVED


Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:30:15 +0000
Subject: Re: michael.gove.mp@parliament.uk, andrew.povey@surreycc.gov.uk
From: tomlinscote.kings@gmail.com
To: REMOVED


Thanks for your input - I actually think it will mean MORE traffic not less but I'm sure a scientific study could be done to deduce the real answer one way or another. As regards the quality of education of children this has to be an important issue, whatever is best for the welfare of the children as a whole is what needs to be pursued. If the quality of education needs to raised at Kings then it needs to be worked on. If the council has given up on Kings and wants the students to become part of Tomlinscote and Collingwood that may be a good idea but disrupting a perfectly well run school and all its children by relocating them is at least in the short term a disaster.


all the best.


On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM, REMOVED wrote:


Hi, I would like to say what a fab idea it is that Kings college merges with Tomlinscote. Why should an under performing school continue? It will reduce the amount of cars parked at Tomlinscote and driving very near a busy area ( the hospital ) and therefore reduce the chaos round there. Also for all the children currently walking to Tomlinscote that need to get in the car there are the other half of children who can walk that currenlty get in the car!!


I think it is disgusting that Watchetts school is doing so badly and Kings and actually doing something about it - people want to appose! They are only doing this because it does not suit them, they are not thinking about all the poor children that are getting a rubbish education in these schools.


I'm all for it!


On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM, tomlinscote kings <tomlinscote.kings@gmail.com> wrote:


The proposal will see children from both areas travelling backwards and forwards. I agree that if that IS the way to go that a bus service should be provided, I believe that Tomlinscote governors have said this is a requirement. I also know that SurreyCC is trying to axe the bus services they provide for faith schools so if they promise to provide a bus it is not a promise that will last long. I also agree that the traffic currently is stupid and that parents driving their kids to school is bad, my kids currently live 5 mins walk from school - if this goes ahead I will have to drive them as I would be too scared to let my daughter walk 40 mins to and 40 mins from school.


My biggest concern personally is the disruption not to my son (year 9) but to my daughter (next year 7 currently 6) she will have 2 school moves in 5 years ... a year in Tomlinscote, 2 years at Kings site then back to Tomlinscote site for 2 years.


Tomlinscote is 5 mins walk, Kings is 40 mins walk across several busy roads.


House prices - yup I'm sure there are plenty of people who may be sore about that (even some without kids) but for me I bought my house because I liked it and the area so I'm not sore even if this proposal goes ahead.


Bottom line I'm concerned about the major disruption to about 2500 childrens educations. Whatever is done needs to ensure the best education with the least distractions for ALL of them.


Whatever happens I'm sure it will upset someone I just hope some sort of compromise can be reached that makes everyone reasonably happy.


bregds





From: REMOVED
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Subject: Kings
To: "tomlinscote.kings@gmail.com" <tomlinscote.kings@gmail.com>


I've been reading your blog and can I ask you please to consider the kings parents when posting?


I, as a kings parent had to put up with a huge amount of abuse about my childrens abilities from tomlinscote parents and students in various forums. Kings parents care just as passionately about their children's education and there is a real risk of any debate disintegrating into abuse as has been seen already.


There's good and bad in both schools. Who knows, the bright students from kings might even have a positive impact on tomlinscote!


From: tomlinscote kings <tomlinscote.kings@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: Kings
To: REMOVED


I absolutely agree with you. I want to see a solution that protects
my childrens education. My main objection is the split site that
means both T an K children will have to travel and transfer schools
during their education. I also worry that the restructuring will
cause standards to drop in both schools.


I have an agenda with the blog but if you want to write me a piece
from your point of view I'm happy to publish it.


I cannot protect you from what is written on facebook but I can make
you a promise that the blog will be sensitive to Kings parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment