C.A.M. parents Teachers Residents
Keep Kings

Saturday 9 April 2011

Michael Gove - Prevented from supporting Surrey Heath?

Question time with Michael Gove last night was a very well run and entertaining event, thanks to Connect Christian Counselling for putting it together.

There were a lot of people wanting to ask questions and it is a shame that in the end there were only time for four items to be posed to the panel.  I was a little embarrassed that my question was one picked as I'm sure that others may have phrased it better.  Michaels answer probably would not have been any different however, regardless of the question asked.  He explained in a political and balanced way that his role as "Education Secretary" prevented him from being involved, maintained that it would be a free and fair process and gave a balanced view of some of the pros and cons of the merger.

I will cover if this will indeed be free and fair in another post.

I understand what Michael said but I do have some reservations about how we are being supported.  My expectation of Mr Gove is that he ensures that the process is performed legally and fairly, if he were not conflicted I would expect he support his constituents views.  Effectively because of Mr Goves cabinet post we are being denied the representation in the House of  Commons that we have a right to expect.  Perhaps more unfortunate for Mr Gove is that if the merger goes ahead it is likely that the damage done to our childrens education and the teething problems of the chaotic upheavel in their school provision will still be evident as we come to vote in the next election.

I doubt that 4000 parents expressing their disgust at the lack of support Mr Gove was able to give will affect his "safe seat".  Equally though I doubt that the fact that Mr Gove is behaving professionally will deflect either the anger they feel or their worries about "lack of representation".

2 comments:

  1. I don't claim to understand politics but surely if Michael Gove had not been elected as our local representative he would not have been in a position to have been made education minister? In my view that should put his loyalties to his constituants first. What is the point in us having local elections if the person elected is not able to represent us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see why Mr Gove cannot express his opinion as our MP, and I am disappointed by his lack of leadership on this issue.

    I do not see any major conflict of interest from his role as Education Minister. In fact his position should provide him with greater insight and judgement. The decision is supposedly to be made by Surrey CC and the Tomlinscote Board of Governors. Mr Gove is effectively independent of both bodies. I guess in some convoluted way he could dismiss governors ... But really this is hardly going to happen. He does have influence - but that is exactly what an MP is supposed to wield.

    In the end this just feels like passing the buck. I am glad that other local politicians have shown the courage of their convictions and have openly and clearly stated their opposition to the merger. Thank you Mr Sams, Mr Fuller, Mr Mansell & many others.

    As we move towards May's elections we should ask everyone standing for their explicit opinion on this important local issue

    ReplyDelete